It's no secret that the cost of living rises have affected everybody. It may be that you have to cut back on the amount of holidays you take, or figure out how you will make £1 stretch to purchase necessary items. Well, here are Millicent's 12 tips to help you manage your money worries. Don't forget to do you due diligence and seek professional advice to see if these will work for you.
1. Sell stuff you no longer need! Maybe you have an extra instrument, or two, or three, or four in the corner gathering dust. Do you need it? Could someone else benefit from it?
2. Cut back on ready meals and takeaways, and cook from raw ingredients.
3. Call in any I.O.Us.
4. Look through your insurances, utility bills, bank charges and see if you can switch to a provider who is offering a better deal. Of course, read the small print!
5. Cancel any subscriptions for services you no longer need.
6. Become more energy efficient. It takes more electricity to boil a full kettle when you only need enough to fill a Mug. Switch off lights and appliances you don't need. Run your washing machine after 11pm where the electricity tariff is cheaper.
7. Walk instead of drive to your local shop. You will get exercise, meet people and reduce your fuel bill.
8. If you are part of a Band, car pool to your Gig if possible, to reduce your carbon footprint, fuel costs and parking costs.
9. Budget! Make a shopping list and stick to it.
10. Bring an empty food container to your gig! Recently I've been to a couple of Gigs where the Caterers have thrown away food because they made too much and everyone was full. Bring a couple of empty food tubs with you just in case the Caterer or host is offering seconds, thirds and fourths. Great for the next day! :-)
11. Worries can zap your energy! Spend time deep breathing to remain calm and allow the oxygen to flow around your body. Exercise. Also be thankful for your wins, achievements, fun times with family and friends.
12. Strengthen the business side of your music career to make sure you are paid fairly and in a timely manner. To learn how to do that, you might want to check our free resources, e-learning programmes and the third season of the podcast Success Beyond The Score, now available on YouTube.